Future Acts Services

NTSCORP  provides future act, notification and land tenure research services to Traditional Owners in NSW and the ACT. This service is provided to ensure that Traditional Owners receive the information required to afford themselves of procedural rights under the Native Title Act, and are able to fulfil cultural obligations to traditional lands, seas and waters that may be affected by proposed activities including development. A dedicated unit in NTSCORP is responsible for the timely notification of activities that may affect Traditional Owners.

When NTSCORP receives notices of proposed activities (future acts) by government which could affect native title, the land tenure and notification team makes sure that Aboriginal stakeholders such as native title claimant groups, Local Aboriginal Land Councils, Elders groups, Aboriginal corporations, and individuals are informed of those activities.

While NTSCORP makes all efforts to notify people about activities that may affect them, we can only do this with your assistance. If you feel that you should be notified about activities within an area, you may wish to contact us to discuss this or please email us with your details and the area that you would like to be informed about.

There are many different types of activities that NTSCORP provides future act notifications for. Such activities include:

Compulsory Acquisitions
This is a term which refers to the process where a local, state or federal government can become the owner of land even where it is owned by another person subject to paying compensation. Only governments, including councils, have the power to compulsorily acquire property.

Exploration Licence Applications
Generally these applications are sought by mining companies who are interested in closely investigating a parcel of land to determine whether it might be an area to mine. An exploration licence does not allow a person to mine the land, it only allows them to conduct certain tests, or otherwise explore land, to determine whether it could be mined. For those Traditional Owners who have a registered native title claim, the right to negotiate will apply.

Mining Lease Applications
An application for a mining lease will usually come after a party has applied for an exploration licence. The difference to an exploration licence is that if a mining lease application is granted, the applicant will have the right to mine the land. In NSW, coal mining presents a significant aspect of mining. As such these leases are often quite significant and last for many years.  For those Traditional Owners who have a registered native title claim, the right to negotiate will apply.