NTSCORP engages an independent law firm, comprising solicitors and paralegals, to manage the legal aspects of native title claims in NSW and the ACT.
The legal team assists in securing the recognition of native title rights and interests in the following ways:
- Preparing claims in anticipation of satisfying the registration test of the National Native Title Tribunal (NNTT)
- Working with our community; facilitators and researchers to take affidavits from Traditional Owners;
- Assisting in the establishment of corporations including Indigenous Corporations under the Corporations (Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander) Act 2006;
- Assisting Traditional Owners in negotiating consent determinations and agreements, such as Indigenous Land Use Agreements (ILUAs), with the NSW State Government, private interests and mining companies;
- Attending mediation and case management conferences with a view to reaching a negotiated outcome and where necessary undertaking Court hearings on behalf of Traditional Owners.